Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tomorrow Have A Presentation On Pompe For Yen Ling's Classmates

Oh, I am getting nervous...I can write though not very good but talking is a totally different thing for me. An area that needs improvement. Something that I am not good at all...

My hubby is supposed to present but was called to a meeting by his boss last minute. So, I got to replace him. Even though not ready but still need to do it. Like the Cantonse saying "Ting Ygan Siong". What to do...

The reason why we want to share the story of 'Pompe' with Yen Ling's classmates is mainly she is very new to her current school San Min. She was transferred in mid April, just few months back. So, most of her classmates do not understand why she acted differently. Though she had recovered a lot but still she would never be comparable to any other normal kids. Her movement and speech was slightly impaired. The fact that the doctor warned me few years back and she was classified as physical "OKU (Orang Kurang Upaya)". So, she ended up being bullied (in speech) by few...She was extremely upset and wanted to go back to her old school. We brought her case to deputy HM, after some discussion we thought it might be time for us to start our awareness program at the school level. Then at least Yen Ling's schoolmates will have a chance to be exposed to this particular rare disease. A topic that I am sure they had never been exposed to. And hopefully with some knowledge, there will be more understanding/caring and less/no abuse...

Today I was busy going thru youtube to see if there was any good clip on Pompe disease that I could share with the kids to make them understand what Yen Ling had gone through. After many hours search, with the help of my hubby; we manage to find one that was pretty good. Like to share with you here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDlKFFpCnRo

Tomorrow I will treat it as the learning ground for me to sharpen my presetation skill. I hope I will tune down my level to suit the kids. And hopefully at the end of the day, they learn something. I guess that is the more important. I will give it my best try.


KF
Wrote on 10 Aug 11 Early morning

No comments: